Friday, February 3, 2012

Banana Chocolate Chip Bread


Mmm. bananas, such a yummy and versatile fruit. And since it's one of my family's favorite fruits, I elected my key ingredient for my very first "Blessings" post to be the banana- gonna bake me some moist, delicious banana bread.


We love banana bread... my husband, myself, and my kids. It makes for a very happy family. Studded with chocolate chips, nuts,and coated with a chocolatey glaze, it is thoroughly swoon inducing!


This particular recipe is one I've adapted from a very old cookbook of mine, adding ideas and tweaking over the years. The result- a loaf of sweet smelling, baked yumminess.
    
 Ingredients:  
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup toasted, chopped nuts (I like almonds)
  • 1/2 tsp orange rind
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
  • *1/4 cup plain yogurt
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  •  *1 1/2 cups mashed bananas
     Method:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  • Butter and flour one 9X5 inch loaf pan.
  • Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
  • Put your chocolate chips, nuts and orange rind into the flour mix, and combine.
  • Using an electric mixer, beat eggs until smooth.
  • Add in  butter yogurt, vanilla and blend well.
  • Fold in the bananas. Stir to incorporate.
  • Next fold in the wet mixture into your dry mix and combine, but don't over stir.
  • Spread into the prepared loaf pan.
  • Bake for 50 minutes to an hour, until a toothpick inserted into the center pulls clean.
  •  Cool completely...if you can wait that long. Turn out on a rack. Now on to the glaze.          

      Chocolate glaze:

  • Confectioner's sugar :1 cup
  • Cocoa powder : 3 tbsp
  • Milk: 3 tbsp
  • Vanilla: 1/2 tsp


Whisk all the ingredients together to combine well. Pour over the loaf and let it set. Or you could keep it aside and each time you cut a slice, heat some of the glaze and spoon over the serving. Either way, I'm certain you will enjoy it.



Notes:


* I use nonfat plain yogurt, but you could use the full fat version.
* Update- 6/2/1012- Instead of the 3/4 c of white sugar, I now put in 1/2 c white + 1/4 c dark brown sugar. It actually brings a nice depth and lends even more flavor to this already delightful loaf. 


*For the best flavor, use over ripe bananas, where the skin is almost black. They tend to yield the most flavorful, consistent results.


The glaze is great served alongside each slice.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!