Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Chocolate fudge cake




The job of baking something palatable, and have it fulfill the dual destiny of being remarkably delicious, and show visually as a frame by Monet, is no sweet task. Stamina/energy/sanity otherwise reserved to correct/equip/scream at underlings that may not be exercising great judgement, in addition to those in-over-their-head baby adults, who believe they are endowed with prophetic wisdom, is sapped, drainedThough, in measure, a certain indefatigability, renewed mind flow and boundless supply of Monster Energy, preferably in 24 ounce cans, will pretty much see you at success too.  
Today's life lesson taught and learned.✓
Totally glad you dropped by, right? ✓

It's pretty undeniable, the rush that comes when working on a piece like this. Pushing me to not less than 5 separate recipe trials; so both you and I, beyond doubt, know just how important it is to appreciate the perfect chocolate fudge cake recipe and have it revisit you for the rest of your life.

There isn't a core technique for fudge cake. May owe to the fact that everyone and their mama grew up with personalized interpretations on how fudge-y fudge cake should actually be.

I took notes. Several. There were points specific to many, but not limited to all. Most of them had less than ten ingredients, seven of them, common or interchangeable. It should be taken into account that if there is large enough consensus for myself to write a thesis on such a subject, I am game

For the most part, there were mainly three classifications in which such a cake could umbrella under:
  1. Those with striking, ultra chocolatey notes, though light, airy.
  2. The dense, more like-fudge, rich texture and tight crumb.
  3. Reminiscent of back-in-the-day, candy-ish flavor, on hints of brown sugar, to the likes of Little Debbie snack packs.
In almost every recipe, unsweetened cocoa is used. Bon Appetit insists it be Dutch process. I really don't think you should go to the trouble. After considerable forethought, key elements were loosely combed from my 5 source assortment. It was success and poetry, together in one.
The cake that ended my search had a distinct, deep flavor, yet stood apart from typic chocolate cake. Everything I needed it to be, it was: Moist + tighter crumb + not breaking in places where it shouldn't. Fortifying tops and sides with  a double layer of icing, first of ganache, second, chocolate buttercream prepped the 9x 10 " platform for my AZ Diamondback Sedona Red jersey veneer .(The "Sedona" part may lack because of my desire to not deflect from the "no-taste" of Wilton's no-taste, very bright, red).

It is quite amazing, a rich, yet not too dense cake, that desists from sticking to the roofs of mouths stayed moist and had enough heft to be the foundation for multiple levels of bedecking. 

I found that I may not have a calling for snake whispering- no complaints there. The fact that I had to compete with a beloved MLB image, was terrifying. Snake D took about 7 tries, all of which could've been an unmitigated disaster, until I took a step back and used the reading glasses I really should be using. My third attempt at rattler carving was actually not half bad, a final edge smoothing, D patch was ready to go.

Moreover, shaping cakes into sports balls  really isn't a big deal. Especially when you have the aluminum pan which makes construction a piece of cake( pun intended:))

I urge you. Go make this.  It could be The One to end your search for all perfection. 

And so, I hope.
Whipped ganache. Is beautiful. 

For the cake-
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup salted butter
  • 4 tbsp unsweetened natural cocoa 
  • 2 eggs
  • ½ cup buttermilk
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup hot water

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and parchment 2 9-inch round cake pans or one 13x9-inch rectangular pan.
  • In a bowl, sift together flour and sugar.
  • In a sauce pan, combine butter and cocoa over heat.
  • In the bowl of a stand mixer beat eggs, buttermilk, baking soda and vanilla on medium high speed until blended and smooth.
  • With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture and cocoa mixture into the batter, alternating between the two( starting and ending with flour mixture) until smooth and combined.
  • Pour the hot water over the mixture, stir until incorporated and batter is smooth.
  • Scrape the batter into prepared pan(s).
  • Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
For the icing-
  • ½ cup unsalted butter
  • 4 tbsp cocoa
  • 6 tbsp milk
  • 3 ½ cups confectioner's sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Directions:
  • Bring butter cocoa and milk to a boil.
  • While still hot, stir in the sugar, cup by cup, until mixture is combined.
  • Stir in vanilla. Pour or immediately spread over cake. 
~ The above icing hardens over cake and if I had a choice, I'd top with it each and every time.
-Cakes are best refrigerated overnight before you attempt to cut/carve/ shape them .

Trippy, rainbow-ish vibe was courtesy of the clearphane I used to cover my board( could've also been my mindset for the current few days I was working on it). Sun streaming straight through a window, lends the whole thing an ethereal iridescence. Don't you think?

I know. I should be here more often. I apologize for my lack of presence and deficit of routine updating. You deserve the recipes that have been stored in my head. And heart. Cluttering my drawers on gazillion sticky notes.

When my day seems insurmountable, I find solace in the things the Lord has resourced me to do. My kitchen is my calm, safe zone, a spa of relief- if you can imagine that. It's where I succeed and feel much  content in all that surrounds me. In addition to this, the trusted slice of blog platform to inscribe my antics adds to the joy. I am grateful that you see, read, hear.

I'm also thankful for friends and acquaintances who trust me for their cake baking/ confection making needs. In return, I'm bestowed the privilege to put through grind, a passion for working with delicious subjects, and all the aspects that stem from; recipe writing, experimenting, honing in to skills I never knew I had. It sparks my passion, pushing me to do better, work harder, and achieve more than what I'd ever set out for. My mind is refreshed, renewed and regirded, each moment of the day has intention and purpose. And that's a very good thing.
Thank you. 
I truly appreciate.

May-
2014: Ghee
2013: Meat puffs
2012: Doughnuts

******
"Sustain me, my God, according to your promise, and I will live;
    do not let my hopes be dashed." Psalm 119:116 

3 comments:

  1. What a masterpiece! Good job, Tisa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully done! I love fudge cakes too and this fits the bill perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake and that frosting... wow! Looks like my treat meal... hehe...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!

Proud to be an Indiblogger