Friday, May 9, 2014

Flan/Caramel Custard

This is the dessert that's been on post horizon for quite some time. It is probably one of my favorite  indulgences under all accounts, being I ordered my first slice from Tandoor Cochin's menu card,  eons ago. A visit to an aunt, several years later, confirmed that I could have it everyday, a most wonderful revelation. She taught me the sweet luscious is not demanding, would not require many ingredient runs, since it was elemented with so few, not even delegate a huge chunk of daylight to bring it into being. It is, has always been, swift, uncomplicated and I was elated when you gave me that nod of approval, here, to see it have a song of it's own. I'm not immune to the requests, I heard your yays resound. So it is today, we talk flan.

Once you type in the words flan, creme caramel, caramel custard, google inundates your screen with over a few thousand suggestions of just what everyone thinks about it. And it does sentiment well and mean quite a few things to many people. Custard with yolks, few whites, whole eggs and few yolks, no whites, and all yolk, milk, cream, condensed, evaporated... Really, all this translated? That's where it gets simple, being a well-executed presentation of dairy and eggs.

Then, do I add? To the cluttered up webfill ? I think I shall, after which you can decide, whether you've reached the end of this dessert's rainbow.

Though it's not to drag you through a course on another perfect(!) recipe. I think that through the standard 6 items, I've nuanced it up for a near matchless custard construction, major snags fixed and neatened. I believe this is the consummate caramel custard, puddingfromscratch, extraordinaire. Whereby, you may also want to trial-and-error it to  your level of justright.  I've surely done enough of that, because this is the most made dessert in my house.

The heft of the whole matter lies in the burning of sugar, which sets the base. If the sugar is not delivered to the point of above-caramel, near-cola  color, it may not bring in that significant and deep bite. Too burnt would change the scenario and probably lead to a memorably brutal aftertaste. Results are bested with a timer, eight, almost nine minutes past melt-point and you have achieved caramelized sugar perfection. It hardens once syrup hits the pan, but marvelously turns to a sheet of liquid gold, finally blanketing a flipped over, what- would- have- been pale custard. It truly is a gasp-worthy scene, the moment you see what's on the other side.

The silk and luxe of flan is maintained through the eggs. Five whole large ones, ratioed in with over 4 cups of milk, sugared and not, leads to a wellconclusive  production, custard that's firm, with not too tight of a pudding build. Just the right landing for your spoon to scoop into Velvet Cream Spectacular.

Truly mindboggling and enchanting, today's discourse, once you realize the potential of milk, eggs, sugar and the miracles that happen in wake.

The recipe is my gift to you, desires not more than a few grabs from cold shelves, and cooperation from two, yes three kitchen appliances. What are you waiting for?

So, soon-to- be Queen (or King) of The Flan/ Caramel Custard, I bid you on. Go forth and conquer.


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • ¼ cup water
  • 5 large eggs
  • 2 ¼ c 1% milk
  • 2 cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 tsp vanilla
Sidenote~ though I mention 1% milk, I always use skim, makes for an easy conscience when I eat through half of a whole pan. Truth. It depends on your need for richness. No complaints if you use fullfat. 

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 325° F.
  • Place 13×9" baking pan in center of a larger roasting pan. 
  • Have sugar and water come to boil over medium -high heat in a deep saucepan.  Reduce heat to medium, simmer till the sugar mixture comes to a deep brown, about 7-9 minutes. Working swiftly pour liquid into the baking pan you will using. Tilt pan to spread caramel evenly.
  •  In the meantime, put eggs, milk condensed milk and vanilla into a blender. Blend for almost a minute, until ingredients are well combined, pale in color.
  • Allow air bubbles in mixture to subside. Pour mixture into baking pan (s) over the caramel.
  • Set the roasting pan with the baking dish onto middle rack of oven. Pour hot water into roasting pan to a depth of 1-1½", almost half up the sides of the pan your pudding is in.
  • Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until sides are set and center is still soft, but does not wobble.
  • Take off heat and transfer baking pan to a rack to cool. Once cooled, refrigerate, covered for at least 4 hours or until completely chilled. 
  • If serving in individual ramekins, invert onto dessert plates. Otherwise cut into slices and serve with caramel sugar side up.
Notes~ The custard sets further once you take it out of the oven and will firm up in the refrigerator.
Ambition could make for pretty presentations. Divide syrup/custard into individual molds, accessorize with fruits, nuts or hardened praline. 
******
"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me." John 10:27

4 comments:

  1. I am so much in love with that last snap... pls pass it on, I am all ready... yum...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rafee. I think it's something about caramel custard, has an ethereal quality in photographs ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow..loved the custard very much,yummmy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! What kind of pan did you use to do that square one? Amazing that it didn't crash or crack after inverting on that plate. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!

Proud to be an Indiblogger