Thursday, November 22, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Layer Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

Doesn't the picture say it all?

I came across this recipe while foodgawking, again. With the hours spent browsing, pinning and bookmarking, you'd think I'd come up with enough inspiration and recipe material to carry well into a decade and plus. 

Which brings to this poignant setting. A few days ago, during scheduled routine, my eyes stumbled across and over this gorgeous slice of four layer cake. Nearly peeling the roof of my mouth off the floor, I read through it's content and within a few I knew I was ready to tackle this magnificent piece from those insane Tastespotting publishers.

And here it is Thanksgiving Eve, that I execute this spectacular next- day dessert. Oh, yes, I wanted, needed  to thaw my unyielding rock of a turkey, but it was my baking roll with Pumpkin Spice layering and the subsequent other and afters that took precedence for much of my today.

Contrary to the usual, I cannot string into a prolonged melody as to how good it really shall be. I do not know, yet. I do know, however, that it has tucked into it's opulent body some depthfully magnificent flavors. The something that brings me to the conclusive thought that pumpkin spice layer cake may just be the show stealer for tomorrow's gluttonous feast.

Excruciatingly tough my whole prep, assemble and bake scenario, inasmuch the desire in me, I kept myself from trying a crumb, not even the spoon lick. I did succeed, obstacles be gone, just to experience my much anticipated bite, at tomorrow's table. Chiefly throwing me over wit's edge was the aroma exploding anywhere and all about, several concentrated whiffs that extended into neighbors' confines, and lasting well after JZ's evening return, having the grown man dancing, sneaking in scraps, crumbed hands and all. This was my madness that knew no end.(Aaaahh!)

The brilliance of the recipe is the combination of so many flavors, balancing a very profound cake, topped with the sweetened tang of cream cheese icing and cut with an ambrosial douse of toasty rich caramel. Luxury awaits, and I am all for the telling, once I cut in through my slice, come tomorrow morning afternoon.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a 15 pounder to brine.

Have a blissful, and lovely Thanksgiving day.

Pumpkin Spice Layer Cake~
(Recipe adapted from TasteSpotting blog) Ingredients:

  • butter for pans and parchment liners
  • 3 c all purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 tsp ground ginger
  • ½ tsp ground nutmeg
  • ½ tsp ground cloves
  • 2 sticks butter, softened to room temperature
  • 1 c granulated sugar
  • 1 c light brown sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1 c pumpkin puree 
  • Simple Cream Cheese Frosting 
  • Caramel

Shhh, I haven't enlightened my picky one and two that pumpkin is the main ingredient (gasp!), since they won't go near two feet of any dessert carrying the p-ingredient. I actually cut down the amount from the original, since I didn't want an exaggerated scene of gagging and faces from either.The secret lies with me to the grave(unless probably they read this), though they were none the wiser when combing up shaved cake ends earlier today.
Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 350°F.
  • Grease two 9-inch round cake pans. Alternatively, you could line the bottom with rounds of parchment paper. Butter the parchment paper, as well, then flour the parchment paper bottom and sides of the pan.
  • In a bowl, sift together all 8 dry ingredients starting from flour, ending in cloves. 
  • In the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a large bowl, using a hand mixer), beat on medium speed granulated sugar, brown sugar, and butter until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time. Incorporate pumpkin and vanilla until just combined, reducing speed to low.
  • Add the dry mixture to the wet and stir until just combined.

  • Divide the batter between the buttered pans. Lightly tap the pans over the countertop and smooth out the tops of the batter.
  • Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centers come out clean.
  • Allow cakes to cool for 10 minutes.
  • Transfer to cooling racks. Let cool completely. Flip upside down so as to flatten the dome tops.
Make the Cream Cheese Frosting, tripled. For my next time, I will be trying a certain orange cream cheese frosting .
After that  pour on the Caramel drizzle.

Save yourself time and tension. Layers can be baked ahead and keep well in the refrigerator or even the freezer.
Once I cut into it, I promise I will update with a nice picture of my charming quadruple layered first wedge.

*Update* For my buddies who wanted in on a slice~
Multi storied, mega towering.. How could one slice ever be enough?

******
"Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever!" Psalm 107:1 (ESV)
There is always something to be thankful for.

16 comments:

  1. beautifully done Tisa... waiting for the after cut snaps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Reshmi. I've expleted my patience quota and may just slice into it before lunch ;-)

      Delete
  2. I simply adore your cake my friend you had me with that first photo :)
    Too skilled!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing - I agree with the first commenter - hope you put up some pictures of the cake once its been cut into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks B, it is up, crooked layers and all, but so, so good.

      Delete
    2. I'm having a hard time deciding whether the whole cake or the cut slice looks yummier - either way I wish I could reach into the screen, grab some cake and take a big mouthful!

      Delete
    3. Thanks B, that slice is for you-take it :))

      Delete
  4. came back to see the layers.. beautiful..gorgeous.. can't resist but it's miles away ;)
    Noel collections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming back. Knowing your chef skills, I am sure you can master this beautifully... a piece of cake, right, Reshmi?

      Delete
  5. Oh man.. its lovely! am drooling here.. Beautiful presentation & pics Tisa :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!

Proud to be an Indiblogger