Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Breaded Pork Chops with Gravy

Pork chops are what we're having for dinner tonight. Around 10 years ago, my love story with Food Network began, particularly late nights with Emeril. One night he'd be "BAM"ming up "Shrimp Etoufee", the next, New Orleans style bread pudding. I was thoroughly intrigued, salivating, hooked. What with the multiple "bams","yeah babe's", and "kick it up a notch's", my withdrawal symptoms were showing when I'd miss an episode. Then, smothered pork chops was aired  and I literally fell out of my chair, changing forever the way I think about the "other white meat".

Actually, this isn't that recipe. Emeril's was loaded with sausages and such Creole gala that I possibly wasn't worthy enough to recreate it- so I never wrote it down. This dish is based more on the inspiration that formed as a result. 

First, I set out to make the perfect pork chop, seasoned and breaded, my way. Baking the chops gave them the browning needed to get done without slaving in front of a hot stove. Plus, baking, instead of frying, equals less fat and a healthier chop.

Second, after being educated on mirepoix (thanks again to Emeril), the impressionable combination of onions, celery and carrots, I decided to use my roux- based gravy as a vehicle for these taste- enhancing aromatics.

Third, I really don't like smothered anything. So, no smothering here, but a generous spooning atop the breaded, browned and well- seasoned meat cut. 

Yes, I did kick it up several notches. End result- mind boggling deliciousness. Might even make Emeril proud.

Moreover, the finely crusted piece of pork maintains a superbly moist inside.

So, this isn't an Emeril adaptation that I'm giving you to take away, but it definitely is an inspiration. Sleep deprivation can be so worth it sometimes.

Try it, be inspired! It really is a meal which requires a minimum amount of effort and comes with the maximum amount of enjoyment. After this, you might just want to call me pork chop queen. Are you with me?
Pork Chops ~
Ingredients:
  • 2 large eggs
  • * 2 cup bread crumbs
  • 1 tsp parsley
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 4 bone in, center-cut pork chops  (at least 3/4 in, mine were an inch thick)
  • 1/2 tbsp cayenne ( I use a heaping whole tbsp)
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1- 2 tbsp oil 
Method:
  • Preheat oven to 365° F.
  • Have the eggs beaten and ready in a small, wide mouthed bowl. 
  • In another larger shallow bowl, toss breadcrumbs with parsley, onion powder, garlic powder.
  • Season the pork chops with cayenne, salt and pepper. In assembly line style, start with the seasoned pork chop, then dip in eggs, finally dredging and pressing chops into the seasoned crumb mixture. Place coated mixture onto a greased and lined baking sheet. Drizzle oil evenly over pieces.
  • Loosely cover with foil in oven for 30 minutes, then uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until cooked through ( tested when juices run clear, once poked).
  • Let rest and go make the gravy.




Gravy~
Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1/2 c finely chopped onion
  • 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
  • 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
  • 3 tbsp all purpose flour
  • *1 cup warm milk
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1/2 tsp salt or adjust to taste
  • 1 tsp black pepper
Method:
  • On medium- high heat, in a dutch oven or similar dimension pan, add oil, butter and stir till butter is melted.
  • Put in onions, celery and carrot, and saute till soft, 3-4 minutes.
  • Add in flour and mix throughout the veggies well. Make sure flour gets cooked through- no raw taste, please!
  • Reduce heat to medium and slowly pour in milk and stock, stirring all the while.
  • Simmer until mixture boils and thickens until desired gravy consistency, around 4 minutes.
  • Take off heat, season with salt and pepper.
  • Generously spoon individually over and around your pork chops.
Notes:
I process my own breadcrumbs by pulsing a few slices of bread, usually whatever's on hand, in a food processor.
Any milk will do, though I use skim in keeping with the "healthful" theme here.

******
Nothing beats an inspirational cuppa... The purpose of YOUR Life on an actual Starbucks cup.
Dr. Rick Warren in his book "The Purpose Driven Life"

13 comments:

  1. very true writing on that cup.. ur snaps are beautiful and tempting .. my brother is a fan of pork so may try this on his next visit.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Reshmi, especially the gracious comments on my pics- made my day! Let me know how your brother and you come to like it ... and yes, it's the absolute truth, I wish I could get my hands on one of those cups

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a pork eater,though but your dish looks pretty tempting:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Balvinder and Julie! The breading could probably go with anything, and so would the gravy. Regards :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are always meat dishes which tempt me away from vegetarianism - this is definitely one of them :D
    Fantastic job!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Uru! Though, the intention wasn't meant so severe ;-/ Glad you liked it, my friend.

      Delete
  6. I bet this was soooooooooper tasty..:)
    new to your space Tisa
    awesome space you have
    happy following you..:)
    do stop by mine sometime
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay, for the comment and the follow. Unbeknownst to you, I have been your follower on FB for quite a while. You have some fabulous recipes out there, I must say !

      Delete
  7. I've been searching for a good tried and tested pork chop recipe, since the boys in my house have been requesting it for a while now, and "bam" you seem to have the perfect one!:) I'm definitely going to give this one a try-looks yummilicious! Loved your write up too :) God Bless the works of your hands.Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shamita ! Yes, this is a meal for those 3 boys in your house. I end up tripling the chops mainly because of our big boy. Let your conscience be eased, though, on account of the bake instead of fry ;-) Let me know how it goes. Many blessings to you guys ♥

      Delete
  8. Though I'm not a big fan of pork, but your pork chops look very very good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!

Proud to be an Indiblogger